The project manager assigned to you at the time will review the extent of the damage, mitigation challenges, resource needs, outside vendors needed, such as electrical or plumbing, and any extenuating circumstances such as extreme cold.
Often the immediate response team does not know if there is going to be a claim filed, so we are always as careful as possible. This includes:
- Sending a smaller team, at least initially
- Carefully removing baseboards
- Using minimally invasive structural drying techniques
- Setting equipment for maximum results
- Waiting to see how water travels, sometimes up to 24 hours before continuing demolition. Mold growth requires heat, “food” and time, usually 72 hours, so being patient can prevent disturbing areas that ended up not being affected at all due to water’s travel path